Be sure to subscribe to Food Republic Today on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And please rate the podcast and leave comments!
The New York Times called Sweetbitter the “Kitchen Confidential of our time.” Stephanie Danler’s first novel impressed many, became a national bestseller and premieres as a six-episode dramatic series on Starz on Sunday. She joins us today in the studio along with Caitlin FitzGerald (Masters of Sex, UnREAL), who plays Simone, the frenemy and mentor of protagonist Tess, played by Ella Purnell. Danler and FitzGerald speak to what it was like filming the show, Danler’s writing experience, working in restaurants in New York City and more. In Post Bites, comedian Ian Abramson reflects on the best day of his life. Doughnuts were present. But first, the news:
- The James Beard Foundation media awards were given out on Friday. Congrats to the winners!
- The daytime Emmys awarded the art team behind Mind of a Chef an award for Outstanding Main Title and Graphic Design.
- Bob Dylan’s Heaven Door whisky brand is set to be released next month.
- Michelle Wolf was roaster of honor at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner and had gave Parts Unknown a shout out.
- San Francisco Chronicle restaurant critic Michael Bauer left Daniel Patterson’s Coi off his list of 100 best restaurants in the Bay Area.
- McDonald’s raises some of its prices and saw stocks raise as well.
Food Republic Today is hosted by our Editorial Director, Richard Martin, with co-host Krista Ruane, Zero Point Zero culinary creative director, and produced by Zero Point Zero Production. Our producer is Katie Guhl with assistance from Tiffany Do. The episode features music by Ghostly International artists including Michna, whose “Metal Baile Joint” is the theme song.