Be sure to subscribe to Food Republic Today on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And please rate the podcast and leave comments!
It’s nearly the weekend, which means it’s the perfect time to get deep into mezcal talk. Host Richard Martin travels to Oaxaca to chat with one of the founders of Mezcal Unión, Alejandro Champion. “Champ,” as he’s known around Mexico City, where the company is based, talks about his company’s mission to provide a business model for agave farmers in the Oaxacan countryside, and to create sustainable production ideals for mezcal. It’s an important part of the story, given the increasingly rapid and intense demand for mezcal in the United States. Whether you’re a fan of the smoky, floral, incredible spirit, or are curious what the fuss is about, you’ll want to listen to what Champ has to say. Today’s podcast wraps up in Post Bites with Bad Yelp Reviews of Good Restaurants. But first, a discussion about today’s headlines.
- Time named the “Silence Breakers” as the Person of the Year.
- BuzzFeed News published a report that states the number of sexual harassment claims filed in full-service restaurants from 1995 to 2016.
- Pizza Hut is testing beer delivery in Phoenix, Arizona.
- A woman driving across the Mexico border attempted to smuggle 227 pounds of bologna in the United States.
- Mezcal Isn’t Just A Spirit, It’s Spiritual
- 10 Essential Things To Eat And Drink In Oaxaca
- Time Person of the Year: The Silence Breakers
- We Got Government Data On 20 Years Of Workplace Sexual Harassment Claims. These Charts Break It Down.
- Pizza Hut Will Now Deliver Cold Beer and Wine To Pair With Your Pie
Food Republic Today is hosted by our Editorial Director, Richard Martin, with co-host Krista Ruane, Zero Point Zero culinary creative director, and produced by Zero Point Zero Production. Katie Guhl is our producer. The episode features music by Ghostly International artists including Michna, whose “Metal Baile Joint” is the theme song.