Paying homage to the season, Antonella Rana, co-owner of Rana Pastificio in NYC's Meatpacking District, wanted to showcase this coveted summer ingredient in her native Italy.
"Late summertime in Italy means watermelon everywhere — fresh watermelon on street carts, candied watermelon skewers on the beach," she says. "Here at Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina, we wanted to make the simplest of ingredients even more refreshing, and our watermelon granita does just that. The easy, no-bake recipe makes for the perfect summer dessert!"
Courtesy of Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
- 4 1/4 cups watermelon juice (juiced with a juicer)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large metal bowl, whisk the sugar and juice until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place bowl in freezer and return every 10-15 minutes to whisk periodically and avoid freezing solid.
- Continue stirring periodically until the mixture is all slush, no liquid.
- Serve in a chilled glass.
Check out these granita recipes on Food Republic: