Greenpoint Fish & Lobster Co. executive chef-owner Adam Geringer-Dunn came back from a recent trip to Thailand with noodles squarely on his mind. Pad thai, to be specific, but not like any pad thai you’ve ever had. Instead, he created a raw, vegan, gluten-free spin you can jazz up to your liking. Add tofu, chicken, seafood or keep it raw and vegan — it’s your bowl!
This play on pad thai is light and healthy, and you can add a variety of grilled proteins as you like. We really wanted to create a dish that appealed to vegans as well as those without any dietary restrictions. We also wanted it to have a connection to the ocean, so we used seaweed kelp, which is incredibly nutritious and really takes on the pad thai flavors well.
I buy kelp noodles in bulk, but you can find them online and in some specialty Asian stores.
For the pad thai sauce
- 1/2 cup tamarind pulp, soaked and strained
- 1 cup water, heated
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 Thai chili (depending on spice desired)
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1/4 cup shoyu
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
For the vegetables
- 1 medium carrot, diced or julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, diced or julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large king oyster mushroom (or a handful of sliced shiitake or other mushrooms), sliced
- 1 cup snow peas, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 3 green onions (the whites and about 3 inches of the greens), sliced
For the pad thai noodles
- 2 12-ounce packages kelp noodles, chopped into 3- to 4-inch pieces
For the garnish
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped
- Drizzle of sesame oil
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Handful of cilantro
- To make the pad thai sauce, combine the tomatoes, thai chili, garlic, shallot, 1/4 cup shoyu, lime juice, and sesame oil in a Vitamix or high-speed blender and blend well. Next, add the tamarind pulp and blend until very smooth.
- Mix the carrot, zucchini, red bell pepper, mushrooms, snow peas and green onions in a large bowl.
- Add the noodles to the veggie mixture, pouring about half of the pad thai sauce into the bowl, and mix well with tongs until the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Mix the cashews with the salt and sesame oil and sprinkled over the finished pad thai. Drizzle with lime juice and the remaining pad thai sauce and sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
Try some more awesome noodle recipes from Food Republic: