A good book of soup recipes is the cure for cold weather. Whatever delicious produce you find at the farmers’ market, there’s a great soup for that. Whether you’re cooking with seasonal ingredients or simply foraging in the pantry, food writer and editor Anna Helm Baxter knows how to get a bowl of something hearty, healthy and easy to cook on the table, fast.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 13-ounce tin light coconut milk
- 13 ounces water
- 1 2-pound pumpkin (squash), peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2-3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small bunch Thai basil
For the soup
Heat the oil and cook the curry paste for 1 minute.
Add the coconut milk and water and bring to a simmer. Add the pumpkin and sugar and cook until the pumpkin is tender.
Add the fish sauce, lime juice and basil, and serve.