This one’s made for a dinner party: the colors and flavors of this rum and brown sugar-glazed shrimp will have guests oohing and ahhing. Place these rum and sugar-coated shrimp, plus the mango and pineapple, on 4-inch skewers and serve as an hors d’oeuvres or go big and make this into a full plated appetizer. It’s a tropical twist on the usual grilled shrimp that’s sure to please even the stodgiest of crowds.
- 1/2 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 28 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup pineapple, large chunks
- 1 cup mango, large chunks
- vegetable oil, for oiling grates
- In a small sauce pot, combine the lime juice, rum and sugar and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat. Add the the cornstarch mixed with water and bring back to a simmer, while continuously whisking.
- Skewer the shrimp, alternating with the mango and pineapples. Season with salt and pepper. Brush heavily with the glaze.
- Place the skewers on a medium high grill, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve as skewers or over top of salad greens.