You know and love it: It’s Cabot cheddar — creamy, awesome and the star of The Cabot Creamery Cookbook. This collection of recipes from dairy farmers across the country is as sharp as it is delicious, and if you’re a fan of cheddar cheese, add this book to your food library. A cheddar-infused cornmeal crust is exactly what your roasted vegetables need.
This beautiful tart makes a gorgeous centerpiece for a vegetarian meal or a contribution to a buffet or potluck. You can switch up the vegetables depending on what’s fresh at the market; roasting them really brings out their flavor.
- 1 cup plain or stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups shredded Sharp Light Cheddar, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 8 delicate mushrooms, such as enoki or oyster, torn into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Alpine Cheddar or Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 11-inch tart pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together cornmeal, 1 cup shredded cheddar, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk egg until frothy in another bowl; then whisk in milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil.
- Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients until well blended.
- Press crust mixture over bottom and slightly up sides of tart pan. Bake crust 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange tomatoes, green onions, portobellos and bell pepper on sheet, and drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast vegetables 15 minutes or until just tender; cool slightly.
- Layer portobello mushrooms in crust; top with bell pepper strips. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of remaining cheddar.
- Add a layer of green onions and then a layer of tomato slices. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar.
- Arrange enoki or oyster mushrooms on top, and sprinkle with Alpine Cheddar or Parmesan.
- Bake tart 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Find more vegetable tarts on Food Republic: