Nothing attracts lunch envy like a glass jar of something colorful and healthy or a beautifully balanced salad. Take your lovely lunch along wherever you go with The Portable Feast, the newest recipe collection from food writer and recipe developer Jeanne Kelley.
If you squeeze fresh lemon over this salad just before eating it, it will taste like you just whipped it up in the kitchen — even if you made it the night before and are dining al desko.
Note: Homemade preserved lemons are so much better than store-bought and so easy to prepare: Simply cut 3 to 4 lemons into 4 wedges and nestle them in 2 (8-ounce) jars, sprinkling well with sea or kosher salt (about 2 tablespoons per jar) between each wedge. Press down gently on the lemons to level. Top each jar with a ½-inch layer of extra-virgin olive oil and seal tightly. Refrigerate for at least a week before using. The lemons will keep for a year.
- 1 (15-ounce can) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4- or 5-ounce can) albacore tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1 large green onion, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley (optional)
- 16 Lucques or brine-cured green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped greens, such as arugula, mizuna or romaine
- 1 lemon, cut in half, for garnish
For the salad
In a medium bowl, combine the beans, tuna, bell pepper, cucumber, green onion, basil, dill, parsley, olives, preserved lemon, lemon juice, and olive oil and stir to blend.
Divide the salad between bowls or jars with lids for transport. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
Divide the greens evenly among the bowls or jars, placing them at one side or on top of the tuna salad.
Season the salads with coarsely ground pepper. Garnish each portion with one half of a lemon, cover and refrigerate, and enjoy within 6 hours.