Let this be the summer of the homemade kebab. None of those $10/lb. pre-made ripoffs this year. Besides, who wants a slice of green pepper every other chunk of meat? Try your hand at these easy kebabs, featuring notoriously succulent pork tenderloin inter-skewered with incredibly grillable pineapple. Brushed with a simple honey glaze, they’ll make those supermarket kebabs look like stick figures.
Although the recipe calls for broiling, feel free to toss these on the barbie for extra flavor.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1 1/4 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 medium pineapple, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup honey
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Just before serving, fold in the cilantro.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler. Thread the pork, pineapple, onion, and tomatoes onto the skewers. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Place the skewers on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil, turning once and brushing occasionally with the honey, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with the rice.