Here's my thing with sliders: by the time you're full, you will have ingested at least twice as much bread as if you'd just had a regular burger. One slider won't do it…unless they're one of these spectacularly filling mini Paleo bacon avocado burgers.
With a small salad's worth of veggies and the miracle of bacon, these sliders will fly off the skewers that keep them together. No, they're not as easy to eat as regular mini-burgers. They're not as lame and overdone, either. Keep the meat medium-rare, the bacon crunchy and the accoutrements fresh and crisp and you'll have some genuinely satisfied (and impressed) party guests.
- 3 sweet potatoes as thick and round as you can find, scrubbed and sliced into 16 inch-thick rounds (you can discard or reuse the ends)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- thinly sliced red onion
- sliced dill pickles
- 8 strips bacon, cooked until crispy and broken in half
- butter lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- long bamboo skewers, for assembly
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss the sweet potato slices in a large bowl with the olive oil and salt until well-coated, then arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through and slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, season the ground beef with salt and pepper and shape into patties that will be the right size to fit in between two sweet potato "buns." Refrigerate the patties for 20 minutes, which will help keep their shape and size as they're cooking.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat and cook the burgers in batches to your liking, about 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Assemble your sliders: sweet potato, patty, tomato, onion, pickle, bacon, avocado, lettuce, sweet potato. Keep the stack together with a long bamboo skewer. You can break off the last couple of inches for presentation if you like.
More slider recipes on Food Republic: