Ordinarily we’d pass the “quick and healthy” cookbook section in lieu of something with more cheese, but if you’re going to cook light, better take a page out of Better Homes and Gardens. These grilled orange pistachio-stuffed scallops are as attractive to behold as they are delicious.
Each bite of these stuffed scallops contains a burst of fennel, orange, parsley and pistachio.
- 12 large sea scallops, fresh or frozen, 1 to 1 1/4 pounds
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 3 fresh oranges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, snipped
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- pistachios, chopped (optional)
- Thaw scallops, if frozen.
- Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels.
- Split scallops horizontally, to the opposite side (but not through it).
- Remove fennel fronds and chop enough for 2 tablespoons.
- Trim and quarter fennel bulb.
- Finely shred 1 teaspoon of peel from one of the oranges.
- Working over a bowl to catch any juice, use a sharp knife to peel and section the remaining oranges.
- For the gremolata, in a small bowl combine fennel fronds, orange peel, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the parsley and 1 tablespoon pistachios; set aside.
- For the vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon reserved orange juice, the vinegar and honey.
- Cover and shake well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuff scallops with the orange gremolata (as much as needed, reserving the rest).
- Secure closed with toothpicks, if needed.
- Lightly brush scallops with additional oil.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper.
- Place scallops in a lightly greased grill pan.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place grill pan with scallops on the grill rack directly over medium-high heat.
- Place fennel directly on grill rack over medium-high heat.
- Cover and grill 11 to 14 minutes or until fennel is lightly charred and tender and scallops are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling.
- When cool enough to handle, slice fennel.
- Place arugula on a serving platter.
- Top with fennel, orange segments and scallops and sprinkle with any remaining gremolata.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and if desired, top with additional chopped pistachios.
Find more grilled shellfish on Food Republic: