Bowls of hearty whole grains topped with healthful, delicious fare are a trend that will outlast any fad pastry or rainbow this-or-that. Join food stylist and recipe developer Anna Hampton as she explores the wide world of ancient strains, gluten-free options and other filling, fiber-rich grains that pair beautifully with fresh vegetables, home-fermented foods and lean proteins for a meal that looks as good as it tastes. This quinoa chili recipe is as hearty as a stew gets.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 ounces uncooked red and white quinoa
- 10 1/2 ounces tinned chopped tomatoes
- 5 ounces pinto or red kidney beans
- 3 1/2 ounces sweet corn kernels, cooked
- 1/2 ounces coriander (cilantro), to garnish
- 1 ounce Cheddar, grated, to garnish
For the chili
Heat the oil in a pan and toast the chili powder and quinoa for 2 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes, 14-17 ounces of water, the beans and sweet corn.
Cook for 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
Season, divide evenly between 2 bowls and garnish with the coriander and grated cheese.