Give your tubesteak a little flair…or a ton, with food writer Russell van Kraayenburg's ultimate hot dog book, Haute Dogs. Wherever you hail from, there's a hot dog that speaks to you. Not literally, that would be terrible. But believe us, these franks have some serious soul. We never met a New York dog we didn't like.
A few simple additions turn humble sautéed onions into an unexpected, tasty topping. Put them on your New York dog for an authentic taste of the big apple.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Warm olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook onions with tomato paste and spices, stirring until soft, translucent, and starting to brown on the edges, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Find more caramelized onion recipes on Food Republic: