Pro pit master Troy Black, a regular on the Kansas City Barbeque Society circuit, teamed up with the editors of Southern Living magazine to pen All Fired Up, a cookbook that’ll keep you busy at the grill all summer long. Everyone likes a great tuna sandwich (or blob), but nobody really likes canned tuna. We call that a conundrum. Straighten things out with this spectacular grilled tuna sandwich.
- 4 12-ounce tuna steaks (1-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons refrigerated horseradish
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Rub tuna with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle salt and black pepper evenly on both sides of tuna.
- Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Grill, covered with grill lid, 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness.
- Brush bread slices with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Flake tuna; combine with ground red pepper, if desired, and next 4 ingredients. Spread tuna mixture evenly on 1 side of 4 bread slices; top with tomato and avocado slices. Cover with remaining 4 bread slices.
More killer sandwich recipes on Food Republic: