This simple combo of grilled halibut and fennel brings clean but bold flavors to the dinner table. Fennel’s licorice essence gets stronger after caramelizing on the grill, giving the halibut a notable pick-me-up. In less than 20 minutes, it will taste like you’ve been cooking all day.
The 7/20: If you have these items in your arsenal, recipes categorized by 7/20 can be made with 7 or fewer additional ingredients in only 20 minutes of active cooking time.
- 4 (1-inch thick) Halibut, steaks
- 4 small bulbs fennel, tops removed and sliced thickly into rounds
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, for seasoning
- vegetable oil, for prepping the grill and oiling the fish and fennel
- 2 lemons, cut into 8 wedges
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Pre heat the grill to medium high heat. Clean the grates with a wire brush and use vegetable oil to grease.
- Season the fish and sliced fennel with salt and pepper and vegetable oil.
- Place the halibut on the grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Place the fennel on the grill at the same time and cook for 5 minutes each side or until you achieve nice caramelization and the fennel softens.
- Distribute the fennel on 4 plates (8 if you are going to cut the halibut steaks in half). Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place a piece of fish on top and sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve with a lemon wedge.
If you like this simple grilled fish, try the Food Republic recipe for Balsamic Glazed Monkfish.