The sweetness of the corn and the brown sugar balance the bite of the ginger and chilies in this bread, making it a great accompaniment to your BBQ or lowcountry cooking.
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Poblano chilies, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- butter, to grease the pans
- Place 1 cup of the corn kernels in a bowl and set aside. Place the remaining cup in a blender and puree. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, polenta, baking powder, salt, pepper, and ginger. Stir in the brown sugar, chilies, corn kernels, corn puree, and 2 cups water. Mix to combine.
- Butter two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans and divide the batter evenly between them. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Place the pans in a shallow baking dish filled halfway with water and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Turn the loaves out onto a cooling rack and let cool.