Also known as pico de gallo, fresh raw tomato salsa is a great last-minute addition to any gathering because it requires minimal time, no cooking and almost no cleanup. If you can wield a knife, you can make salsa (and homemade tortilla chips, for that matter). We can’t think of a better recipe to merit a trip to your local farmers market, especially when tomatoes are in season. You’ll notice the difference in flavor right away. Need more heat? Add another jalapeño — we’ll skip the “chile hands” disclaimer this time.
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, and taste for seasoning.
2. Allow flavors to combine, unrefrigerated, for about an hour, then mix well and serve.