The anise flavor of the fennel bulb is mild and adds a hint of licorice to the delicately seasoned vegetables in this dish. Feta cheese adds a delicious tangy note while boosting the protein content. Make this delicious, healthy vegetarian dish as an entree or a side any weeknight when you’re strapped for time.
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2 red onions, cut into eighths
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 slice candied ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Middle Eastern or Moroccan spice blend
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into lengthwise into wedges
- 2 cups fennel bulb, diced
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- 1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled or finely diced
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted or plain
- In the bottom of a flameproof tagine or large heavy pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add red onions, garlic, ginger and spice blend and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, fennel and artichokes. Cover with tagine lid, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Toss vegetables with feta cheese. Garnish with sesame seeds.