A more luxurious version of creamed spinach, and possibly the most flavorful side vegetable you’ll ever have. The pungent flavor of the ramps will stand up to even the strongest cheese, so don’t be afraid to try goat, feta, bleu or another strong cheese. Pairs well with any grilled red meat. Also makes an excellent topping for burgers.
- 2 pounds ramps, cleaned
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk, warmed
- 2/3 cup cheese, grated or crumbled, your choice
- 2 pinches nutmeg, fresh, ground
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 4 tablepoons of butter and the flour.
- Stir to combine, then gradually add the milk, cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Separate the white stems and the green leaves of the ramps. Chop each roughly.
- In a separate pan, sauté the chopped ramp stems with 3 tablespoons of the butter. Once soft, add the chopped ramp leaves and cook briefly. Stir into the reserved béchamel and serve warm.