Macaroni Salad Week is awesome, isn't it? I like that removing almost all of the mayonnaise allows you to incorporate cheese into the mix. Cheddar and poblano chiles is a potentially classic combination, as is goat cheese and asparagus. The Cobb salad, one of California's great contributions to the universe (besides after-work surfing excursions), features umami-packed blue cheese. Plus, we couldn't let Macaroni Salad Week pass by with no bacon.
Scrap the salad greens and sub in macaroni for a delightfully busy pasta salad that's almost as attractive as it is delicious. Serve with grilled chicken for a satisfying weeknight dinner, and savor the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Here's what you'll need to know:
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- salt, to taste
- Boil macaroni in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Toss with the mayonnaise to coat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Toss macaroni with the rest of the ingredients, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving — it tastes better at room temperature.