Every year, Food & Wine magazine releases a cookbook packed with the best recipes of the last 365 days. Hear that? Food & Wine. Best recipes of the year. Any page you turn to will sport a winner, but while the weather steadily cools off, consider a hearty chicken stew with braised mushrooms.
- 4 pounds chicken legs and thighs
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry Riesling
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- tarragon, finely chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil.
- Add half of the chicken and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until browned, 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Cook the remaining chicken, then pour off the fat and wipe out the casserole.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil in the casserole.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits from the pot.
- Add the chicken stock and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Nestle the chicken in the casserole; cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour, until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, without stirring, until well browned, 5 minutes.
- Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Strain the braising liquid through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl, pressing on the solids; skim off the fat.
- Return the braising liquid to the casserole and boil until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the crème fraîche and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and chicken to the sauce and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with tarragon and serve.
Find more braising recipes on Food Republic: