Blogger-turned-cookbook author Cassie Johnston knows a thing or two about making healthy food choices without compromising flavor. Her trick: cooking uncomplicated, delicious food with emphasis on pumped-up nutrition. Her latest book stars the mighty trio of chia, quinoa and kale along with their superfood friends, like tangy, creamy kefir (which happens to make the best ranch dressing you’ve ever tried).
The texture and tang of kefir makes it a perfect base for this healthy ranch dressing. I like to pour it on top of a classic chef’s salad, but it also makes an awesome veggie dip or pizza sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups plain kefir
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons smoked turkey breast, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ham, sliced
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- To assemble the salad, place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and drizzle with the ranch dressing.
Author's Tip: This dressing makes enough for four to six salad servings, so stash it in the fridge for the next time you need ranch dressing.
Find more salads on Food Republic: