You are what you eat, and if you eat from Carla Oates’ new cookbook, you’ll be beautiful inside and out. Focusing on vegetarian and vegan cuisine and dedicating to improving overall gut health, this is one book for you. And if you think pizza can’t be involved, we’re here to prove you wrong! This buckwheat pizza with mushrooms and bone marrow is a meaty addition to your beauty diet.
Besides being highly nutritious, with plenty of skin-loving collagen and helping to boost immunity, the creamy, nutty combination of the roasted bone marrow and mushrooms is delicious in this buckwheat pizza.
- 1/2 cup tomato passata (puréed tomatoes)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 10 1/2 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound 2 ounces grass-fed beef thigh bones filled with marrow (Ask your butcher for these)
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 2 large handfuls baby beetroot or rocket leaves
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Scant 1/2 cup water, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized)
For the pizza
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Place two 8-inch pizza trays or 2 large flat baking trays (baking sheets) in the oven to preheat for 15 minutes.
To prepare the base, place the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to form a thick batter. Divide the batter in half.
Spoon half of the batter on a large sheet of baking paper. Cover with another sheet and roll out to form an 8-inch disc. Leave on the baking paper and set aside. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Combine the passata and garlic in a small bowl. Spread the passata over the bases and scatter with the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the bones in a small roasting tray. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the marrow is golden brown and gelatinous.
Transfer the pizzas on the baking paper onto the preheated trays.
Cook for 20 minutes, or until the bases are crisp and mushrooms golden brown.
To serve, scoop the roasted marrow out of the bones and spread over the mushrooms. Drizzle with salsa verde. Top with baby beetroot or rocket leaves.