Here’s the silver lining to allergy-friendly food: It’s really easy to prepare and enjoy! Invite everyone (yes, everyone) to the table with chef/blogger Heather Christo’s new cookbook, Pure Delicious. If it’s an allergen to anyone, it’s off the table (but you’d never know it!)
This crunchy, sweet, and salty combination is a fresh take on slaw to serve with anything grilled or piled on a burger. Because cabbage stands up so well to dressing, this is an excellent dish to make ahead or bring to a party — just add the avocado at the last minute.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 small head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 uncured bacon slices, cooked until crisp, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into chunks
For the vinaigrette and salad
To make the balsamic vinaigrette: In a blender, combine the garlic, mustard, honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, bacon, and parsley. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette to start (you can always add more!) and toss to coat.
Add the radishes and green onion and toss again. Season with salt.
Transfer to a serving platter and top with the avocado.