Warning: This recipe isn’t for the faint-of-heart. We’re calling the nerdiest cooks out there to make this chicken noodle soup. With a Nor’easter hitting the New England and New York areas this weekend, we thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get extra- advanced with our soup-cooking. Our friends at ChefSteps provided us this recipe for the classic comfort soup, but with a twist: the noodles are actually made of chicken! Make this once and you’ll never think of chicken noodle the same way again.
Not Your Average Chicken Noodle Soup
4 hours 30 minutes; serves 4
- 1/2 recipe of Chicken Noodles
- Chicken consommé
- Buna-shimeji mushrooms, as needed
- Bunapi mushrooms, as needed
- Golden enoki mushrooms, as needed
- 1 small head broccoli
- 1.5 grams fresh thyme
- 1 gram fresh tarragon
- 1 gram fresh rosemary
- 0.25 gram fresh bay leaf
- 1 gram salt, plus more as needed
- 1 gram MSG
- White pearl onions, raw, as needed
- Olive oil, as needed
- Fine herbs, as needed
- Pressure cooker
- Sous vide setup
- Food processor
- Sieve #20
- Sous vide bags
- Chamber vacuum sealer
- Coffee filter
- Fine-mesh sieve
- Blowtorch (optional)
- Click here to follow instructions for Chicken Noodles.
- Click here to follow instructions for Chicken Consommé.
- Slice the sheet of chicken into “noodles” as wide as they are thick.
- Trim mushroom stems, leaving just enough to look natural.
- Using a blowtorch, char the flower buds on the ends of the florets. Once black, remove the tips and reserve. If you don’t have access to a torch, char broccoli in a high-temp oven.
- Heat consommé to a simmer, and infuse with herbs, salt, and MSG for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, or use a French press. While the herbs are infusing, start to prepare the other ingredients.
- Slice the onions in half from top to bottom. Remove the skins and separate the petals. Preheat a pan over high heat, and add the onions face down. They will start to char on the bottom. Once the bottoms of the onions start to brown, add just a touch of oil and salt to the pan to season. Shake the pan to dislodge the onions, and transfer them quickly to a dry towel to stop carry-over cooking.
- Form a nest of noodles in the middle of the bowl. Arrange onions, mushrooms, and charred broccoli tips around the noodles. Garnish with fine herbs. Just before service, add 100 g warm consommé to each bowl, and finish with your favorite fat: chicken fat, olive oil, nasturtium butter, or even Carotene Butter.
ChefSteps comprises a team of award-winning chefs, filmmakers, scientists, designers and engineers focused on revolutionizing the way people cook by inspiring creativity and encouraging expertise in the kitchen. You can also get access to all of ChefSteps’ Premium content — including paid classes and dozens of recipes available only to Premium members for a onetime fee of $39. Classes include Sous Vide: Beyond the Basics, Fluid Gels, French Macarons and more!