I feel your pain. In fact, yesterday, I felt it quite literally, as I started my first workday of 2014 with a breakfast of cottage cheese over a poached pear. Yes, there were some hazelnuts sprinkled on top to ease that pain, but this wasn't exactly my beloved egg sandwich with bacon and cheese on a roll (with lots of black pepper, mmmm). Making the choice to kick off the new year with a new commitment to healthy eating has become almost cliché, as well as comic fodder, but it doesn't have to be a joke.
I actually enjoyed my cottage cheese–based breafkast, and it inspired me to keep eating healthy throughout the day. One day down, 363 to go…
Care to join me? Here are some recipes to help you on your way:
- I find that kale salads always hold my interest when they have some enticing co-starring ingredients, as in this textural, tasty wonder: Roasted Garlic Kale & Quinoa Salad With Cranberries
- Stuffed peppers are like healthy comfort food — as long as you don't stuff them with bacon: Best Basic Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- It doesn't take much to make salmon into a hearty main course, and this recipe uses my favorite flavors to compliment the fish, citrus and Dijon mustard: Citrus-Poached Salmon With Dijon Mustard Sauce Recipe
- On cold nights, there's something about a mushroom-powered dish that takes the chill away. Here's a recipe from the talented, worldly chef Aliya LeeKong that hits all the right notes: Wild Mushroom Quinotto Recipe
- Want to eat healthy in '14 but don't want to give up beef? Use it in creative salads, like this recipe that calls on a seasonally available vegetable and Asian spices: Tamarind Beef & Kohlrabi Salad Recipe
What are your favorite recipes and dishes to help start the new year off on a healthy note? Let us know in the comments!