Sounds scary, right? Like “Caution: do not enter, acetaldehyde contamination.” Well, it is. This particular chemical compound is responsible for that which one does not fear until it’s too late: the hangover.

It’s hard to be mad at acetaldehyde, a natural by-product of metabolism. When your liver uses an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase to processes ethanol, better known as booze, it creates the relatively toxic acetaldehyde. And as we all know, the only antidote to this poison is a big fat omelet, a hefty Bloody Mary and time. Or any of the other suggestions below. 

Use today’s Word of the Day: 8 Ways To Survive A Wicked Hangover