It’s been a long, strange week in the land of Food Republic, as the busy springtime activities of the food and drink world led to long nights of schmoozing, boozing, and eating lots and lots of seasonal vegetables, meats, and what-not. During the weekend, FR’s intrepid staff split forces and went a-drinkin’ at the Manhattan Cocktail Classic parties and revisited the scene of the epic poularde in mourning—that’s spring chicken and black truffles—tasting from last month at NYC’s Resto (though this time, the insanely delicious moules/frites, er mussels and fries, were on the menu).
So without further ado, let’s look back at last week’s highlights and a horse-related lowlight, from Food Republic:
- The crowds went wild over our roundup of 10 Classic Movie Food Moments, featuring video clips.
- We took an illustrated look at 5 Celeb Chef TV Shows we’d like to see.
- And took a look at what may be the best craft brew festival in the US.
- We tipped you off to 5 French Cheeses to Try Right Now.
- An intrepid Food Republic contributor recalled eating sheep mammaries in Morocco.
- You wanted recipes, we gave you recipes: some hummus to start, then a falafel sandwich.
- Oh, you wanted desserts? Try this creme brulee, served up in ramekins.
- Cheeseburger is one of our favorite foods, and now it’s one of our favorite bands.
- And then there was the whole Canadian Top Chef horse controversy, which led to one of our Facebook fans commenting, “In Sweden we have ‘Hamburgerkött’ (Hamburg meat) that is salted and thinly sliced horse meat. We put it on sandwiches, nothing special about that. Most people probably don’t even know what kind of meat they’re eating, because it’s such a standard thing that you find in every food store.”
Okay, with that, it’s on to the next week!