What: Launch of Lucky Kids magazine
Where: Stella McCartney Boutique, Meatpacking District, NYC
When: Wednesday, April 13, 6-8pm
Food & Drink: Champagne and juice boxes by Bite
Why: Tips for Dad
Lucky Kids held a launch party at the Stella McCartney store in the Meatpacking District. The invitation said “Bring the Kids!” so of course I brought my 1-year-old daughter, as it would have been pretty weird to go on my own, right?
It felt a bit strange walking into a flashy retail store with 40 kids having their way with the space, but Lucky Kids knows how to throw a fun party and I picked up some great tips on how to hold a kids-themed event:
- If you’re gonna book a face painter, make sure he’s legit. This guy was incredible and had the longest line. At one point he transformed a girl’s face to look like “The Mask” and it was freaky good.
- Don’t forget about the parents! Huge jars of every type of candy are great and all, but those trays of tasty champagne couldn’t make it around fast enough.
- Make your food fun. The catering was done by Bite and they mixed it up well, with grilled cheese sandwiches cut into little stars with a cookie cutter and presented along with mini cups of tomato soup.
- Rent a photo booth. They can be super-expensive but are always popular.
- Hire a balloon girl. If you can find a woman clown, always go that route. The far better option.
- Have a fail-safe. A long arts and crafts table with crayons, beads, baubles, glue, paper—the works.
Verdict: With the demise of Cookie magazine about a year ago, it’s nice to have another magazine out there that can help parents out, especially the new dads out there.