Ever heard the old saying “When in London, eat tacos?” Yeah, we hadn’t either until we encountered Breddos Tacos, a Mexican joint in London’s Clerkenwell neighborhood that’s gotten rave reviews for its fresh tortillas, hot salsas, wood-grilled meats, seamless Asian inflections and scallop aguachile. Their eponymous new cookbook is packed with all their hits, so pick up a copy and fire up the grill.
You can use the marinade for this aguachile on most firm white fish, as long as it’s extremely fresh.
- 4 fresh scallops
- 1 red onion, finely sliced and soaked in ice-cold water for 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons dried chili flakes, to serve
- 8 tostadas or chicharrones
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon mezcal (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons deseeded and finely diced cucumber
For the scallops
In a mortar and pestle, combine all the marinade ingredients.
Shuck the scallops and discard the orange coral. Wash the white muscle and slice it in half horizontally, and then again, so you double the number of scallop pieces. In a serving dish, mix the scallops with the marinade.
Sprinkle the onion and chili flakes over the scallops. Place a couple of tostadas by each plate.