Can’t bring yourself to make the same old pot of rice again? Pick up a copy of Posh Rice, a new cookbook by recipe developer Emily Kidd, and refresh your repertoire with 70 awesome and budget-friendly recipes for this delicious staple enjoyed around the world. This red rice salad is a flavor and fiber-packed light lunch or crowd-friendly side dish.
Ricotta salata is an aged, hard version of ricotta, which is drier and saltier than its fresh cousin. It goes well with the sweetness of the peas and the oily dressing.
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon red rice
- 5 1/2 ounces sugar snap peas, sliced lengthways
- 5 1/2 ounces radishes, quartered
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 ounces lamb's lettuce
- 2 ounces ricotta salata
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- finely grated zest and juice of Orange
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons agave
For the salad
Cook the rice in salted water according to the packet instructions. Drain, then spread it out on a tray and leave to cool. Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and season well.
In a large bowl, toss together the cooled rice, sugar snap peas, radishes, avocado, spring onions, lamb’s lettuce and dressing.
Taste and season, then pile onto a serving dish and shave over the ricotta salata.