Food writer and blogger Melissa Sperka published a collection of recipes that will bring out your love of Southern food and cooking in no time at all. Pick up a copy of her cookbook and prepare to put some South in your mouth.
This fun take on pasta salad combines the flavors of a classic BLT with creamy macaroni salad. It’s chock-full of crispy bacon, tomatoes, and crunchy green leaf lettuce, plus a tangy dressing. It’s a fusion macaroni salad that takes BLTs to a whole new level.
- 1 (16-ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups real mayonnaise, plus more if needed
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups loosely packed, thinly sliced green leaf lettuce
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled, plus more for serving
For the macaroni salad
Cook the elbow macaroni in salted water per the package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dill, and pepper to taste.
Add the drained macaroni, green onions, and tomatoes. Mix until evenly distributed, then cover and chill.
Just before serving, add the lettuce and bacon. Mix well. Taste and adjust the creaminess of the dressing, adding more mayonnaise and adjusting the seasonings if needed.
Garnish with additional bacon and green onion.