Food & Wine Magazine's 2008 "Best New Chef" Giuseppe Tentori brings his Oyster Po'Boy Sliders with Kimchi and Peanuts to Zac Brown's Southern Ground Music Festival in Nashville, September 27-28. We went last year — it was awesome! The New Orleans style sandwich comes to Nashville by way of chef Giuseppe Tentori's GT Fish & Oyster in Chicago, where it has received rave reviews (it's a favorite dish of the James Beard Foundation). Nuff said, right? Get your slider on. Maybe break out the old guitar.
- 8 Hawaiian bun sliders (substitute any soft, slightly sweet dinner roll)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 oysters, medium size, shucked
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 (8-ounce) jar kimchi, drained of excess liquid
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons roasted and salted peanuts, chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 16 slices pickled red jalapeños (recipe below)
Pickled jalapeños (make at least 24 hours in advance)
- 4 red jalapeños
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For breading the oysters:
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate shallow, wide mouth bowls. Use your left hand to drop one oyster into the flour. Use your right hand to gently cover the oyster in flour. (NOTE: The goal is to keep your right hand dry and your left hand wet or you will end up breading your fingers and not the oyster.)
- Use your dry hand to place the flour-dusted oyster into the bowl of eggs. Use your wet hand to thoroughly coat the oyster in egg and then place it into the breadcrumbs. Use your dry hand to thoroughly coat the oyster in breadcrumbs and gently press the breadcrumbs onto the oyster. Place the breaded oyster on a plate and refrigerate until ready to fry. Repeat this process with each oyster.
Drain the excess liquid from the jar of kimchi and cut the kimchi into less than bite-size pieces. Combine the mayonnaise and sesame oil and set aside.
- Lightly brush the cut side of the slider buns with melted butter and toast in a dry pan over medium heat. Fry the breaded oysters in 350 degree oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the sesame mayo on the bottom half of the toasted bun, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and peanuts, place a pinch of kimchi on top of the cilantro and peanuts and follow with a few slices of pickled jalapeño.
- Place the fried oyster and the top of the bun on the sliders and serve immediately.
Check out these po'boy recipes and stories on Food Republic: