The Black and Blue is the most delicious and versatile drink recipe. It fits in just about anywhere, from a Super Bowl party to a wedding reception. Blackberries and black pepper are a knockout combination. I’m sure you will find great uses for the simple syrup recipe alone. Chopped basil ups its freshness factor, which is important with any lemonade. The Black and Blue does not have to stay a virgin — vodka makes a great addition. Our vodka of choice for this specific drink is Belevedere Intense. Oh yeah, and if you’re looking for a drink to cheer on the Giants with next Sunday, this is the one for you. Go Big Blue!
Molly Quirk is executive chef and owner of Sips & Bites Catering.
- 2 tablespoons black pepper-infused simple syrup
- 3 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Club Soda
- To make black pepper simple syrup, combine 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar and 5 tablespoons of crushed black peppercorns. Bring to a simmer in a small pot, remove from heat, strain and refrigerate until cold.
- Combine black pepper simple syrup, blackberries, and basil in a glass and muddle well. Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Fill glass with two parts fresh squeezed lemon juice to one part club soda, and mix well.
- Garnish with lemon slice and basil leaf.