In December, there is no lack of expert-led classes and demos, seasonal beer festivals and artisan food fairs happening around the food-obsessed United States. Whether you’re in sunny Palm Beach or snowy New York, there’s likely an event that is worth hitting up — or possibly traveling to. Here are some of our favorites. And if we’ve forgotten yours, let us know on Twitter: @foodrepublic
- Shop for gifts at the artisanal market, taste cocktails and holiday-themed dishes and learn cooking and cocktail techniques at the Saveur Holiday Social on December 13th. There’s a Hannukah brunch with Noah Bernamoff and Eli Sussman, a persimmon-focused seminar with Craig Koketsu, pastry lessons with Brooks Headley, and tons more in the way of demos. A portion of proceeds will benefit Citymeals-on-Wheels.
- A group of Hudson Valley wineries offer a tasting tour during two weekends in December. Enjoy the crisp air, the wine and festive decorations.
- Brooklyn Brewery and Edible Brooklyn are at it again on December 4th with their Quarterly Carousel, featuring the latest seasonal beers, small bites from Browder’s Birds, Ms. Michelle’s Urban Gourmet and cHarissa.
- The annual Palm Beach Food & Wine Festival takes place December 11-14 this year at the Four Seasons Resort Palm Beach and at select locations on Palm Beach Island. The festival will showcase chefs and wine industry leaders through several dinners, late-night parties, tastings and seminars. Celebrity chefs are in the mix, naturally, including Robert Irvine, Christina Tosi, Daniel Boulud, Marc Murphy and Mike Lata.
- The festive and family-friendly outdoor Annual Downtown Holiday Market will run until December 23, from noon to 8 p.m. daily, around 8th and F Streets NW. Visitors will find gift-worthy goods from local artisans, an impressive line-up of live music, and warm bites and sips from vendors such as Alexa’s Empanadas and Sexy Vegie.
- Ticket sales from Indulge Los Angeles, a chocolate and pastry show on December 28th, will benefit St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. Chefs include Stephane Treand, Lee Smith and Federico Sweet in all possible ways.
- Los Angeles magazine’s cocktail and spirits tasting event is December 4th. Meet mixologists and glean insight into their creative process, while sipping and nibbling.
- San Francisco’s urban winery Les Voleurs invites you to their holiday wine release party on December 14th, where you’ll taste the ‘13 vintages of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay sourced from Sonoma vineyards, while snacking on cheeses and getting down to live bluegrass.
- Learn about wines in preparation for your holiday dinners with the second-annual “12 Wines of Christmas” tasting tour on December 6th, an excursion featuring history lessons from sommeliers alongside food and wine tastings. At the end there’s a full, multi-course dinner.