For all its tradition and established customs, we're constantly thinking up ways to update Thanksgiving (just ask whoever invented Turducken). Whether you're a guest or a host, traveling or tending bar, here are over a dozen design-minded picks for the kitchen, tabletop and beyond, to help make it feel like a brand new holiday, all over again.
And if you don't have time for a last-minute Thanksgiving shopping run, put these ideas in your pocket for Black Friday or beyond and take care of the friend or relative who relishes their time in the kitchen.
1. For cutting and presentation: Cherry Slab Cutting Board ($73) by Fort Makers for Of A Kind.
2. A chef's knife with an artist's touch: Stainless Steel 9-Inch Chef Knife ($379) by NHB Knife Works from Tom Colicchio's charitable "Artisan To Table" Collection for DARA Artisans.
3. Shack up with this caddy: A bar or side cart keeps the table clear of excessive clutter. Billy Bar Cart ($379) by One King's Lane.
4. Lookin' good, always: FEED denim apron ($29) for West Elm.
5. A "winning" tool: Prepara's bendable Roasting Laurel ($20) keeps your bird off greasy fats and from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6. Don't show up empty-handed: Unique, splendidly-packaged gifts for your host. Clockwise from top left: 2012 Vintage sardines from Mouettes d'Arvor, in France ($11) at The Maiden Lane; Bourbon Nib Brittle ($15) by Olive & Sinclair; Duke Cannon "Big Ass" Brick of Hand Soap (3 for $19).
7. An impression-lasting bottle of wine: Bedell Cellars First Crush Red 2013 ($25), featuring label art by Mickalene Thomas.
8. Stylish bar basics: 3-piece Sagaform Cocktail Set ($54) at Finnish Design Shop.
9: Decant, pour, drink, repeat: "Booze" decanter ($20) at CB2.
10: For a smoother flight: Doctor-up your whiskey on board with this Carry-On Cocktail Kit ($24), containing all the makings for a classy Old-Fashioned: a recipe card, a combination spoon/muddler, bitters, cane sugar, and a linen coaster.
11. For the morning after: Nothing's as delicious a start to Black Friday as leftover pie. Pair it with Stone Creek Coffee's French Roast ($13 for a 1-lb. bag)
12. Stylish send-offs: Present your guests with handsome doggie bags sealed with "Leftovers" labels (printable, online) from Oh Happy Day.