In November, those of a food-focused mindset may immediately turn their thoughts to that succulent roasted bird and its traditional accompaniments. But before you get too worked up over Thanksgiving, check out this list of food and drink events happening around the country. Let the booze and bites take the edge off stressful holiday preparations.
- Those in Sonoma during November 1-2 should not miss the 16th Annual Wine & Food Affair, featuring local wineries preparing their personal favorite recipes, served alongside their own wines.
- Whiskey lovers, mingle with producers and distillers, independent bottlers and brand ambassadors at Whisky Live in Los Angeles on November 7th.
- That mysterious combination of food and fitness known as Cooking Light & Health's The Fit Foodie 5K Race Weekend will be taking place in San Diego, November 14-16. The weekend features a VIP cocktail party, a 5K run, gourmet food tastings, a fitness boot camp, yoga demonstrations and giveaways. Basically, you work out, then eat brunch — sounds good, right?
- It’s the ultimate dinner-and-a-movie deal from November 20-22 when Travel Channel host George Motz and festival co-founder Harry Hawk’s Food Film Fest comes through Chicago. Delicious, multi-course meals will be paired with the latest and most compelling shorts and features on food and a panel will issue awards, including Best Food Porn.
- November 6, fans of Prune chef-owner Gabrielle Hamilton will convene at Brooklyn’s PowerHouse Books, where the memoirist and new cookbook author will be interviewing her restaurant alum on what it was like to work at Prune and then move on to open their own Brooklyn restaurants.
- Also at PowerHouse, on November 13th, Saveur editor-in-chief Betsy Andrews will be on a panel with cookbook authors Carla Hall and Alex Guarnaschelli, moderated by Melissa Clark, in celebration of the release of Saveur: The New Classics Cookbook.
- Talks & Eats, a storytelling event that will combine yummy tastings, booze, and performance, takes place on November 3rd. This unique event features a sit-down tasting with dishes by amazing local chefs from Pearl and Ash, Runner and Stone, Franny’s, Tertulia and Almond Restaurant, as well as drinks by New York Distilling. While eating, you’ll hear stories from Dan Barber, Tracie McMillan and others.
- New York magazine hosts Taste, a smorgasbord of more than forty New York restaurants, on November 10. An impressive line-up makes for a great opportunity to get to know the city’s culinary offerings, new and old.
- A new annual autumn beer event, Día de Los Muertos Festival de Cervezas (All Souls Day Beer Festival), takes place on November 1.
- Celebrate lunar vibes and contribute to a local cause on November 7 at the Mother & Child Education Center’s "Full Moon Feast" Pop-Up Dinner. At this intimate 4-course dinner and wine pairing, guests will enjoy an amazing dinner by Chef Abby, wines by Seven of Hearts and a private tour of the Center. All proceeds help fund year-end operations. The entirely gluten-free, vegan menu will include fantastic dishes such as rosemary wild mushroom caponata crostini and pumpkin-satsuma bisque with crispy sage.
- It’s the best kind of field of dreams: one with beer. At the DC Beer Festival on November 8 attendees will eat, drink and play on the Nationals Park field. The event features dozens of craft breweries offering seasonal beers, as well as live music, games and food.