Dig into this collection of recipes from the historical barn restaurant of Wyebrook Farm, in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania. Authored by the team of owner Dean Carlson and prolific food writer and editor Ian Knauer, Field & Feast pays homage to peak seasonal vegetables, fresh meat and game and simple, rustic preparations of the best ingredients nature has to offer.
We could wax on and on about the complexity and finesse of this compound butter, but really, the name says it all: Bacon Butter. Serve it with radishes in the spring and homemade bread all year long.
- 1/4 pound bacon, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bunches radishes, trimmed with some greens attached
For the radishes
Cook the bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
Add the coriander and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer the bacon mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer and let cool to room temperature.
Add the butter, shallot, lemon zest, juice, thyme, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper to the bacon mixture and beat with the mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with the radishes.