Blogger Wendy Polisi of CookingQuinoa is a master of the tiny little super-seed, which is why we were excited to receive a quinoa cooking book with recipes besides salads. Quinoa salad is awesome though. Particularly this one, which employs our favorite taco salad ingredients in a much healthier application.
- 6 corn tortillas
- olive oil spray
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 can)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
Cilantro lime dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup water, plus 1 tablespoon chia seeds or 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut tortillas in half and then into ¼-inch strips. Place on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake about 10 minutes, turning half way through.
- Meanwhile, if using chia gel in place of the oil in the dressing, combine chia seeds and water. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, red onion and avocado.
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients in a food processor or blender and processing until smooth.
- Toss salad with desired amount of dressing and top with tortilla strips.
Try out these recipes with quinoa on Food Republic: