Who doesn't love lunch at LPQ, the affectionate abbreviation for Le Pain Quotidien? Their fresh sandwiches, soups and salads, whether take-out or eaten at the famous communal table, are delicious. We got our hands on the new LPQ cookbook. Next up, a fig-spiked cheesy grilled sandwich perfect for Meatless Monday.
Walnuts and cheese are a classic pairing, but the fruity note added by the fig jam makes this tartine particularly satisfying. And healthy, too — the fats in walnuts are thought to reduce hardening of the arteries.
- 1 slice sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon fig jam
- 3 ounces ripe camembert or brie, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 walnut halves, roughly chopped
- Preheat the broiler (grill) to a high setting. Lightly toast the bread.
- Spread the fig jam on top, cover with the Camembert and then sprinkle the walnuts and a little black pepper over the tartine.
- Place under the broiler for 3–4 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately.