We’re currently obsessed with the Austin Breakfast Tacos cookbook, having enjoyed more than one on a Food Republic field trip down South. All the famous egg tacos are in there, but this one is a particular favorite of ours: Torchy’s.
Owner Mike Rypka says of their famous breakfast tacos:
“The tortilla is a powerful thing. Potatoes, eggs and bacon are good, but put it in a portable wrap that can be carried to the park with build-your-own mimosas? C’mon, that has Austin written all over it.”
Yeah, swap in smoked brisket for the bacon, à la The Wrangler here, and you might make a few friends while you’re at it! Start with any of our breakfast potato recipes and go from there. Expert tip: this is exactly how you use leftover smoked/barbecued meat.
- 1/2 cup cooked breakfast potatoes, seasoned to taste
- 1 thick slice smoked beef brisket, chopped
- 2 tablespoons jack cheese, shredded
- 1 flour tortilla
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Sauté seasoned breakfast potatoes in a pan until warm throughout.
- Pour beaten eggs on top of potatoes. While egg is cooking, cook brisket on medium heat in another pan until cooked through.
- Flip egg and potato mixture.
- Once egg is prepared, layer tortilla with potato and egg mixture, cooked brisket and jack cheese.
- Serve with your favorite salsa.
Try out these brunch recipes on Food Republic: