We couldn't pass by one of Michael Chernow and Daniel Holzman's Meatball Shop locations without popping in for a snack, so naturally we thought of them when it came time to bulking up and reinforcing our game day menu. Remember that time we all made meatballs on Google Plus? These are every bit as good, because they're made with love…and mortadella.
- 1 3/4 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound mortadella, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large baking dish (9 x 13), making sure to evenly coat the entire surface. Use your hand to help spread the oil.
- Roll the mixture into round, golf ball-sized meatballs, making sure to pack the meat firmly.
- Place the balls into the oiled baking dish such that all of the meatballs are lined up evenly in rows and are touching each of their four neighbors in a grid.
- Roast until firm and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Allow the meatballs to cool for five minutes before removing from the tray.
Try out these meatball recipes on Food Republic: