While tourists may hit New York City’s Chelsea Market to ogle grass-fed marrow bones and pick up bottarga, natives know the really good stuff is underground. The Tippler, a speakeasy bar, is a century-old legend operating beneath the thoroughfare. Specializing in expertly selected wines, craft beers and simple, innovative cocktails featuring freshly juiced fruits and vegetables, The Tippler is a not-to-be-missed spot for mixology fans.
The citrus-spiked Derek Smalls cocktail pairs vodka and cucumber with bitter, refreshing grapefruit and just may make you forget you’re in a relatively dark underground drinking establishment.
For an in-depth look at the making of the Derek Smalls on site at The Tippler, head over to We Are The Market.
- 2 ounces Zubrowka vodka
- 1/4 ounce Averna Citrus Sambuco
- 1 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- 3/4 ounce fresh cucumber juice
- 1/2 ounce honey syrup
- 1/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 sprig mint
- 2 dashes bitters
- Shake all ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain over fresh ice in an old-fashioned glass.
- Garnish with an additional sprig of mint and a thin slice of cucumber.
Cucumber juice: Peel one seedless cucumber and cut into 1-inch slices. Place in a blender with a half cup of water and puree. Strain through a fine sieve and use.
Honey syrup: Combine equal parts honey and warm water. Stir until incorporated. Keep in a clean, airtight glass container.