Sugar snap peas are really a great versatile vegetable. A quick blanch in heavily salted water and then shocked in plenty of ice water is ideal in bringing out the crispness of the snap peas.
The crunch with the acidity and Parmesan cheese really brings all parts of the salad together. It’s a really light and flavorful summer salad.
For the dressing
- 1 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup plus one teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly milled
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 3 cups sugar snap peas
- 24 leaves red or white endive, washed and dried
- 4 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- grated Parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- Combine the Parmesan, vinegar, lime juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend at high speed.
- Slowly pour the oil in making sure that it emulsifies together.
For the salad:
- Clean snap peas by peeling off strings along the sides.
- Blanch for 30 seconds in salted water (1 cup of salt to 2 quarts water), and remove to an ice bath to cool.
- Dry the snap peas, and slice into thin, vertical strips.
- To plate each serving, place endive leaves in center of a plate. Top with a small mound of sliced snap peas, a drizzle of dressing, grated parmesan and herbs.
- Repeat twice using endives each time. Drizzle more dressing around the plate. Finish with black pepper and herbs.