With all the amazing meat fresh off the grill during Food Republic’s Grilling Month, you may need a crunchy, sharp pickled bite to cut the richness and fat and complement the sweetness of barbecue sauce. Cooking Light magazine’s new cookbook, Pick Fresh, is a collection of simple preparations of seasonal vegetables. Once summer okra start popping onto stalks, they don’t stop. Pickle them while you have the chance!
- 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 dill sprigs
- 2 green or red jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 pounds small okra pods
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute or until sugar and salt dissolve, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in dill, jalapeño, and okra.
- Cool completely; pour mixture into an airtight container. Cover and chill.
Note: Refrigerate okra in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
More okra recipes on Food Republic: