If you love tacos you’ll dig this soup. While the list of ingredients may seem long at first glance, none of them are difficult to find and some are probably already in your spice drawer. Shortcuts like using a store-bought rotisserie chicken cut your prep time in half. This chicken tortilla soup is quick, easy to make AND it’s topped with crispy tortilla chips, so you can’t go wrong.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for cooking
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5- ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken, cooked, cubed or shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 limes 1 juiced
- kosher salt for seasoning
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped, plus some whole leaves for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish, optional
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado peeled
- tortilla chips or strips, for garnish*
- In a large pot, over medium heat add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, black beans and crushed tomatoes.
- Stir in the cumin and chili powder. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken. Simmer for 5 more minutes and add the lime juice and chopped cilantro. Season with salt.
- Serve in bowls and top each with cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado, sliced scallions, sour cream and tortilla chips.
*Make your own tortilla chips or strips with our Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips recipe.