Once you've mastered a basic hollandaise sauce you can create endless versions of this breakfast favorite. This one is for you seafood lovers and is a perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day this weekend.
- 12 eggs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 12 slices ciabatta bread, or 6 cut in half if they are large
- unsalted butter, for spreading
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese
- 12 spears asparagus, cut in half and steamed until fork tender
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1 1/2 cups jumbo lump crabmeat, picked and divided into 12 portions
- 12 slices smoked salmon
- 12 large shrimp, cooked, completed peeled and deviened
- , to taste
- 12 sprigs dill, about 2- inches long
- 1 recipe hollandaise sauce
- In a large pot of boiling water add the vinegar. Turn the heat down to a low simmer. Crack the eggs one at a time, into a small bowl and add them one at a time very gently into the simmering water. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the egg is completely coagulated and the yolk looks slightly opaque. Remove from the water.
- Meanwhile, butter the ciabatta on both sides and place in a pan or a on a griddle to lightly toast.
- Top each piece the with a smear of cream cheese. Top each with 2 pieces of asparagus. Top the asparagus with a scoop of crabmeat and a piece of smoked salmon. Place the poached egg on top.
- Top each egg with a shrimp and drizzle with the hollandaise. Season with the salt and pepper. Garnish with the dill and the lemon zest.