I made this drink for my wife on Mother’s Day. She loves beets and she loves gin, so I wanted to create something special for her. I chose Beefeater because it is really smooth (I didn’t want too much juniper showing through), and the higher alcohol content (94 proof) would help cut through the beets and prevent them from taking over the cocktail.
Taking a culinary approach, I looked at what flavors go well with beets. My thought process was, if I was cooking a dish with beets, what would I use? Honey, tarragon, lemon, and ginger all go well, not only with beets, but with each other. Having all of these flavors that complement each other really mellowed out and accented the beautiful taste of the beets. The result is a smooth, subtle, delightfully refreshing experience. People that do not like beets have been amazed that they actually thoroughly enjoy this cocktail.
Additionally, beets are an incredibly healthy food. They contain a relatively high amount of protein, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, magnesium, iron, Vitamin C, dietary fiber. The list goes on and on.
Lantao Restaurant is located at 1717 Collins Ave Miami Beach, FL 33139
- 1 1/2 ounce beet-infused Beefeater gin, Infusion: 2 large, raw red beets, peeled and chopped. Put beets in a jar with one liter Beefeater gin, shake, and let sit for three days, shaking daily
- 1/2 ounce tarragon-honey syrup
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
- 2 tarragon leaves
1. Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice.
2. Shake for 30 seconds and strain into a chilled coup.
3. Garnish with tarragon leaves.