Thanksgiving is approaching, and we’re always in search of a new or unique stuffing recipe. This is one of my favorite stuffing recipes that I like to serve along some nice collard greens. I added a seasonal favorite into the mix — the pumpkin — and the cinnamon, raisins, and pears add a hint of sweetness to the dish. All of the complex flavors are bound to make this one of your holiday favorites.
For the stuffing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 loaf white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and cut into half
- 3 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 2 quinces or pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons herb mix (see below)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
For the herb mix
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zest
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
For the stuffing:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the peanuts and bread cubes and sauté for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, quince, cinnamon sticks and Herb Mix and sauté another 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, orange juice, and honey, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until pumpkin is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the thyme, salt, raisins, peanuts and reserved bread cubes. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and stir in the parsley. Serve with collard greens.
For the Herb Mix
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley and chili powder and sauté until garlic is golden, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl and combine with remaining oil.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.