We caught up with four NYC chefs who recently visited Malaysia, detailing their favorite dishes.
- 4 pounds ground pork, 40% shoulder, 60% belly
- 1 pound diced Maine Shrimp
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crab
- 1 teaspoon
- 2 ounces garlic
- 7 ounces water chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon Five-spice
- 6 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- zest of 4 limes
- 1 tablespoon of yuzu juice
- 2 tablespoons milk powder
- Grind pork, and mix everything except for flour, crab and eggs.
- After marinating for 24 hours add egg and flour mix in Hobart until even.
- Then fold in crab to keep large lumps in tact.
- Take Yuba skins and cut into 6 inch strips.
- Using a pastry brush apply water to moisten the yuba and add approximately 6 ounces of pork mince and roll tightly.
- If setting aside make sure the joining “flap” is on the underside to help it stick.
- Fry in a wok or deep fryer in oil at 375 degrees for about 5 mins depending on the thickness.
- You can serve this with or without a dipping sauce, I prefer it without but it is delicious with just about anything! (please don’t use ketchup)